Songs

Every so often I hear a song on a TV show, and I have to then find it and listen to it over and over.

A few days ago, that happened to me with the show Dark.

The song is called "Familiar", and it's by Agnes Obel.  So far, it's been the thing about Dark that I like the most.





Yesterday I remembered another past song obsession: "One Night the Moon". This wasn't from a TV show I watched, but it's from a TV miniseries that I learned about on the Australian Screen site.

I looked for the song on YouTube and found that someone uploaded a lovely cover of it.




It's such a lovely song.  I think it deserves to be more famous.

And....

In other song news.  I love one that I heard on The Originals: "Smile" by Mikky Ekko.



I love the lyrics. Smile. The worse is yet to come. We'll be lucky if we ever see the sun.

It's such great opposition to other bullshit demands to smile. 

It's not so bad.

It will get better.

You look so much prettier when you smile.

I think it's more important to smile DESPITE all the shit in the world, because the shit might get even worse. Appreciate what you have, even if it's very little. Tomorrow you might have even less.

At Thanksgiving, there was mention of 2017 being a bad year. My dad warned us against being too negative towards the year, because 2018 might be worse. I probably don't often agree with my dad, but with this I agreed quite strongly.

I get annoyed when people seem eager for a year to end. It seems so arrogant to me.

Why do they expect the next year to be better?

Also, just because you had a bad year? Some people might have had a really great year. They might have fallen in love. They might have had a baby. They might have landed their dream job. They might have accomplished something that makes them really proud.

I think the more reasonable thing to say would be something like, this year has been awful for me.  I'm hoping next year treats me better.

Just beware of the possibility that it might treat you ten times worse. So...in the meantime grab any bit of happiness you can, even if it's for tiny things.  



How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   


The Dead are Online  a novel by Dina Roberts