Life Lessons in Aussie Films. Part II

Wow.

This is my first blog entry sequel.

Okay.

Anyway......

In college, my roommate posted a Eric Hoffer quote on the refrigerator.  "People Who Bite the Hand that Feeds them, usually lick the boot that kicks them."

I love that quote. The main reason because it is so true and meaningful; but also because it reminds me of that awesome miniseries V.    There was this scene where the aliens made Daniel (the human who liked to kiss Alien ass) lick their boots.  Oh wait.  No. Maybe Daniel was the bad guy and he made someone else lick HIS boots.

I can't remember.  I'm confused.

But anyway, this is about Muriel's Wedding. Not V.

Did they have V in Australia?  I wonder if any Aussie actors were in it?

Oh no.  Now I can't get V out of my mind.

All right.   I need to get back on track!!!

Muriel's Wedding is about one young woman's quest for popularity and marriage.  And I'll just say she licks boots and bites hands.  I don't want to say more, because then I might be turning this into a spoiler post.

I deal with the biting hands and licking boots issue quite often.  Well, because I'm a human, and I live on Earth.

I'm getting better at NOT biting the hand that feeds me.  Although this is hard at times because, sometimes (figuratively speaking) the hand feeds me poison.  This is a huge issue I'm dealing with now; and I just finished reading a book that put me somewhat at peace.   The book talks about how it is okay to have mixed feelings about people. We can (at the exact same time) be angry at them and grateful for them. We can thank them for the good they give us, but this doesn't mean we have to forgive them for the crap they have given us.

So....I'm learning not to bite--at least when they're feeding me something yummy and nutritious.  (again, I'm being SYMBOLIC here....although real food is appreciated as well)

As for not licking the boots that kick me.....Well, I wish I could say I've gotten better at this.  But I haven't.

I promise that I'm not one of those people who prefer to be with people who treat me like crap. I swear on the future graves of the cast of V, that I prefer people who treat me well.   Really!

I think what happens is I get it into my head that someone is worth my time and attention.  I don't know.  Maybe I think they're cool.   Or I imagine we make a great match.  I imagine this great friendship with them. I become attached to them--or at least the idea of them,  And then they treat me like crap and I let them.  I tell myself to let them go.  Let MYSELF go. But I don't follow my own damn advice.

I get into that awful cycle.  I jump when they need me.  Well, because I long for any type of attention from them.  And I repeatedly forgive them for not being there for me or for being cold and rude to me.

Why do we do these things to ourselves?

Why?   Why?   Why?

And that's why I love Muriel's Wedding.  Well, because the main character is all messed up like me.

Will she learn her lesson?  I'm not telling. Go see the movie. Will I learn MY lesson?

I hope so!!





Don't lick her boots.  She's very bad!

11 comments:

  1. Everytime I start to type a comment Blogger wipes it out! Not sure what it's doing. Probably Flock.

    Anyway.

    What was the book?? You always have such good insight into things. I liked your other post too, of course you know how I feel about the spirituality things already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always forget to check the box so the comments will be emailed to me - I wish Blogger had a comment system like LJ!! I'm putting this just so I can check the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    I don't think I knew there was a box!!

    That might be helpful!!

    Will have to tell you name of book in private email!

    Going to write it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dina, you do so need to read that book I told you about.

    It clarifies a lot of that stuff.

    It explains how we fall into these love relationships where neither is totally honest about who they are, although each thinks they are being honest, and this then allows the partner to build a fantasy based on what they do know, about how wonderful this person is.

    Of course it never turns out to be true, and then they feel cheated and lied to, although it is usually something which both partners have done, without being aware of it.

    It is hard to see, hard to admit, and hard to change, but if you read this book it makes a lot of sense, and clarifies why we often end up with people who are not quite right for us - again and again.

    in case you forgot, "facing love addiction", by Pia Mellody.

    give it a try, you will so get it, and will be amazed before you are halfway through.

    In fact if you read the intro to it you will start to immediately say "oh fuck, that is me".

    This is how I felt when I read it anyway, and there is something about you which I really like, which makes me think that you may find this book valuable also.

    speak later, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we had V the series, loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayne,

    Did you know there was supposed to be a sequel coming out?

    I'm not sure if it's still planned or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure it was Daniel that made someone lick his boots. I'm awake at 2am, I'm staring at the DVD on the shelf. Maybe I should watch it to verify.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you end up watching it???????

    I miss that show!

    I read about the sequel. Have you heard of it?

    They said they're pretending the second part (V the final battle) and the series never happened. I agree about pretending the series never happened. But I loved the Final Battle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, sorry it took so long to reply. I didn't think about the fact I wouldn't get an email notification like LJ/Facebook.

    I didn't get a chance to watch V yet. But I'm certain it's Daniel who makes someone lick his boots.

    My mom's read the book that's the sequel to V, it's called V: The Second Generation. I think the tv movie comes out in February??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a way to subscribe to comments?

    On some people's blogs, I can click something and then I get emailed all the comments.

    Sometimes, weeks later I still get comments. Then I'm thinking. Lord, are they STILL talking about that??????

    I totally love V.

    I forgot what happened to Daniel. Was he in the Final Battle.

    If I lose interest in the Australia thing, my NEXT blog is going to be "The Girl Who Used To Have a Huge Crush on Marc Singer."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daniel was in The Final Battle. Daniel gets framed by the rebels, and the Visitors kill him off and eat him.

    ReplyDelete