Pork Chops

Today, on one of my daily doses of Home and Away, there was Jewish-related Aussie-slang.

A character named Marilyn said, My last boss said I was about as useless as a pork chop in a synagogue.

I like that line.

I wasn't sure if it was created by the writers or if it's Aussie slang.

I did some googling, and found out it's the latter.

According to the Urban Dictionary, the phrase is now sometimes said as something like, You're carrying on like a pork chop.  I think to understand that you'd have to know the original phrase. Otherwise, it makes little sense.

I like the original because it makes sense without being knowledgable about the Aussie slang. There's no need for translation.

Then again....if someone isn't very knowledgable about Jewish customs, they'd be lost.

2 comments:

  1. The former I have heard at times. The latter I often heard when I was younger but I don't get the connection between the two. Mind, I can't work any other reason for the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Yeah. I can't imagine what I would have thought if someone said I was carrying on like a pork chop.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete