Our Pretend Australia Trip: Day 3 Sydney

It hasn't been a good day for me so far.  I hate saying that. Every day in Australia is supposed to be perfect for me.  Right?

No...well, that's not always the case.

The morning was pretty okay.  We were all in fairly cheerful moods. Well, at least there was no fighting between the three of us.

I was a little bit nervous because I was meeting an email-pal for the first time.  

We all ate our free Hyde Park Inn refrigerated breakfast.  We hung out in the room a bit. Then around 9 we started walking to the Powerhouse Museum.  

Tim and Jack went into the museum and I waited outside for my email-pal.   He wasn't due to show up until 10:00, so I had thirty minutes by myself.

Having time alone is often nice; but this time it wasn't.  I felt nervous about meeting my email-pal, and I felt kind of lonely waiting there.

Well, maybe I wasn't lonely.  It was more like my being alone increased my shyness. I started to feel very socially awkward.  

Then there were these teenage girls who came by.  One of them looked at me, whispered something to her friend, and they all started giggling.   It made me feel fifteen again...and not in a good way.

My email pal showed up and I think I was too shy.  I don't know. He ended up having to do most of the talking.  And then there were those awkward silences. I hate those.

I worry that I was awful and that I've now lost an email-pal.

After I was done with my get-together, and Jack and Tim were done with the museum, we walked to Paddy's Market.  We looked around the shopping area and then ate lunch at the food court.   That should have been fun, but the last time we were there, we were with our friends. Being there made me miss them, which is silly because we're going to be seeing them soon.

BUT....

Then I started thinking, what if I'm all shy and awkward with them, as well, and they stop liking me?
It's been a bad day so far.

Maybe it will get better later.   I'm not sure what we're doing. I kind of just want to sit in the room and cry.   But that would be a waste of time.

* * *

Well....
 
The rest of the day was better.

It didn't get better right away, though.

I had a silly sad moment in the Royal Botanic Gardens.   We were walking in the park and I saw a cockatoo land on a woman's head.  I was jealous because last time we were there a cockatoo landed on MY head.  I felt all rejected— not just by the cockatoo, but by Sydney itself.   I felt it was saying, We're so over you and we 've found someone we like better.

I was close to tears. Seriously.

It's a bit silly because I'm sure multiple cockatoos land on people's heads every day in that park. It probably has something to do with how the person's hair smells that day.

Birds are smart, though. I can't help but believe it's their way of saying, I like you.Although as smart as they are,  it's not like they know us.   So if they do like us, they're probably judging us on superficial things.  It could be all about what we're wearing that day.

OR maybe they do know us. They could have animal ESP.  They can sense if we're worthy of their pretense or not. 

Yeah. I still feel parrot-rejected.

Besides that things were okay.  After hanging out in the Royal Botanic Gardens, we ended up in Woolloomooloo.   We looked for a place to eat and found Harry's Cafe de Wheels.    It's a meat pie place. I sort of remember seeing it the last time we were in Australia.

I had their vegetarian pie, which might have had eggs.  I decided not to worry about it too much. It was pretty good, but not the best pie I've ever had.

Tim had a lean beef and curry pie, and Jack had a plain old traditional meat pie.  They liked theirs.  

After we ate, we walked back to the hotel.   Tim suggested taking the train back, but we had taken the train to the RBG.  I figured it would be nice to walk.  

We stopped at a little grocery store near our hotel and bought some Aussie candy. We got a Cherry Ripe bar to share and some Allen's Party Mix.  

We're eating that and watching a rerun of Friends.  It's the one where Joey puts on all of Chandler's clothes.  Modern Family was on too...the pilot episode.  Jack wanted to watch that, but we've seen it so many times. We convinced him to try Friends.  He seems to be liking it, so that's good.  






NOTE:  This trip journal is fictional.   We are not really in Australia.  Some stuff in these posts are based on research.  Some stuff is based on my reality.  Some stuff is based on past experiences. And some stuff is based on fantasy.  

The non-trip journal posts ARE true and real…except for my dreams (which are written in purple)

2 comments:

  1. Meant to comment elsewhere, but here works since there is the footnote stating it. I really dig the dreams being in purple. I caught on immediately. I don't know why, but purple is the perfect color for dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think it's a good dream color too. Though I think there have been times Blogger changes things, and I couldn't find the right purple. Or..the same purple. I guess there's no exact correct purple for dreams.

      Delete