Our Pretend Australia Trip: Day 6 Kiama

I'm finished packing.  I have a few minutes until we bring our luggage downstairs.  I'm using that time to write.  We're going to store our luggage.  Then Jack and I are going to hang out in the room until check out time, while Tim gets the car.   He says he'll be back by 10:00, but he's usually later than he expects.  I guess we'll hang out in the lobby or in Hyde Park.

Anyway, the good news is I didn't have an awful dream last night.

I do remember a few of my not-awful dreams though.  In one of them, I was in Disney World with some woman who seemed to be my friend.  She said she hated Disney World rides and would never go on another.  I asked her what rides she'd been on.  I forgot exactly what she said, but they were all thrill rides.  I said there were rides at Disney World that weren't like that, and she might find something she likes someday. 

Then there was something with us eating at a Swiss restaurant and I was worried about accidentally eating fish.

* * *

We're here in Kiama now...alive.  I'm thankful for that.  It was raining a lot, and the roads were scary at times.  It's bad enough driving on the opposite side of the road when the weather's nice!

We ended up leaving Sydney at around 10:30. It wasn't raining near Hyde Park, but once we went south we started to experience the bad weather.

We drove for about an hour, with me extremely terrified. Then we stopped and had lunch in Wollongong, at a place called Austi Beach Cafe.   I had a nice salad.  Tim and Jack shared some kind of breakfast thing.  Jack loved it.  

Then we drove for about ninety minutes more in the rainy weather.  It was supposed to take only about an hour to get to our motel, but the rain slowed us down.

We're staying at the Kiama Ocean View Motor Inn.   It's not fancy, but it's pretty nice.

I went for a walk by myself.  Tim needed a nap.  Jack wanted to talk to his cousins on FaceTime.   He had tried calling them in the car, but they were at a friend's house.

Anyway, I had a lovely solo walk...even though it was raining a bit.

I ended up on Terralong Street which has a lot of shops and stuff.  

I saw the pink post office.  

I went to three bookstores.

I just looked.  I didn't buy anything.  I have so many books already. I've promised myself only to buy books if I think it's extremely unlikely I'll find them elsewhere.  

It was fun looking, though.

Okay...well....I almost did buy something.  It was a coffee table book about Kiama and the surrounding area. I thought it would be a nice souvenir.

I came to my senses though.  Coffee table books are heavy.  We'd have to fit it into the suitcase.

So...

Well, Tim and Jack are using the toilet and getting their shoes on now.

We're going to walk on the beach a bit. We're not going to swim because this is prime time for becoming a shark's dinner.

I'm not sure where we're going to eat tonight.

I saw a few places when I took my walk today. They might be good.  

* * *

I'm back again.  We had a nice walk on the beach.

Then the three of us walked on Terralong Street.  Jack pointed out the toy store which we all remembered from our 2009 trip.   We had looked there to buy Jack a scooter, but I think we ended up buying it somewhere else.   I do think we bought SOMETHING at the toy store though...maybe our little ball with the happy face?  

We didn't go in the toy store because it was closed already.  We said we'll go back sometime tomorrow. 

We had a hard time deciding where to eat.  We ended up with cheap Italian. I forgot the name of the place.  

On our way back to the motel we got ice-cream at Scoops.  We had Scoops before in 2009...I think in Gerrigong.  

We enjoyed our ice-cream.

That's about it.

Tomorrow we'll probably go to see the famous Kiama Blowhole.

Jack mentioned going back to The Seven Mile Beach Park.  That's where we stayed last time.   He's feeling nostalgic.  

I'm not sure how I feel.   I kind of feel nostalgic too.  But we have beaches here.  I think it's better to make new memories rather than dwell on old ones.  And now that I think of it, a lot of my memories of our Gerrora time is going to Kiama.  

I think I'll try to talk Jack out of it.




NOTE:  This trip journal is fictional.   We are not really in Australia.  Some stuff in these posts are based on research.  Some stuff is based on my reality.  Some stuff is based on past experiences. And some stuff is based on fantasy.  

The non-trip journal posts ARE true and real…except for my dreams (which are written in purple).
  


What would our world be like if we
knew for sure there 
was life after death, and 
we could easily talk to our 
dearly-departed on the Internet?

The Dead are Online a novel by Dina Roberts 



No comments:

Post a Comment