What is a Great Leader?

I've been reading the memoirs of a female television writer—Just the Funny Parts by Nell Scovell.

She has a list of what she sees as being a good leader.

And guess what?

I agree with her list.

You know what else? The list really resonates with me right now.

So here it is.

1. Understands the mission better than anyone in the room and can communicate it.

Okay, this one doesn't personally resonate with me. I can't really think of a time that I was in the hands of a leader who didn't understand the mission. If anything...I'm probably the person who'd be most guilty of failing on this one. If I had a leadership position. And I'd definitely fail at the communication part.  My followers would be like, Huh? What the hell do you want from us? What are you saying? Are you high?

2. Is the hardest working person in the room.

Personally I don't care if the leader is the hardest worker in the room. As long as they're not the braggiest person in the room about what they've contributed.

3. Is the most generous person in the room, not just with compensation, but also with praise and credit.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.

Fucking Amen!!!!

4. Allows dissent and even invites it.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.

Fucking Amen!!!!

5. Listens and learns

And this should involve more than just asking a question and allowing the person to answer while you think about something that's much more interesting to you.

Learning too is key. It hurts quite a bit when you open up to someone; then they show you that they weren't paying attention; that they're none the wiser. 

Is it because they have memory issues? Maybe.

Is it because they have a low level of intelligence? Maybe.

But most probably it's because they never truly cared in the first place. They simply don't give a shit.

Okay. I'm exaggerating and being overdramatic. They DO give a shit. It's just they don't give enough of a shit.