Covid 19 Statistics in Tarrant County

I'm one of those people who have become obsessed with Covid 19 statistics.

I don't know why some of us are like this. I guess it's partly due to being morbid. And then there's a fascination with science and an attraction to numbers and charts.

In the beginning, I was more interested in international statistics and comparisons. I pay much less attention to that now.

Lately, I'm more interested in the statistics of my own county—Tarrant county.

I started keeping track of day to day changes.

I thought I'd share some of those...for people who are interested in such things....and also I guess for people who are interested in seeing how weird I am.

So, here we go.....

One thing I started keeping track of was Covid occupied hospital beds.  I started that on June 8. On that day, there were 177 occupied beds.

On June 27, I began also looking at the percentage of beds that were occupied. On that day, there were 405 occupied beds and 70% of hospital beds were occupied.

On July 2, I added the percentage of occupied beds that were Covid. On that day, it was 14%.

One thing I've noticed and have not kept track of is that the number of total beds change. I guess they've been adding beds....maybe finding them deep in scary storage spaces or buying them at the online hospital bed store?

So now we're at July 21.  There are 683 Covid occupied beds; 69% of the total beds are occupied, and out of the beds being used, 17% are Covid.

Only 17% are Covid. Yeah.

So what does that tell me?

That not only do we need to be scared of Covid, but there's a lot of other shit that can come for us.  In the past, I wouldn't need to have been reminded of this. I'm not one of those people who take good health and safety for granted. But since Covid has come along, I have this irrational feeling that we need to worry about only Covid. Like every other illness and disaster has become impossible.

For example, it's not possible for your upstairs toilet to suddenly break in the middle of the night and pour water through your ceiling.  Your ceiling won't then fall down and drop rat shit all over the floor because a few years ago, you had a rat infestation.

BUT...the workmen working downstairs as I write upstairs tells a different story.

Anyway, back to my statistics.

I've been keeping track of various zip codes in Tarrant County.

I'm guessing it's probably not a good idea to give out our exact zip code....so I'll just be mysterious about it.

I started keeping track of our zip code on June 9. At that point, we had 57 cases and 7 deaths.  Our lake house zip code had 129 cases and 0 deaths.

Today's statistics. Our zip code has 248 cases and 10 deaths.

The lake house zip code has 577 cases and 2 deaths.

One thing Tarrant county has been doing is changing the color code parameters. I think...when I first started looking at it, 300 cases per 100,000 was the YIKES (dark blue) color.  Our zip code reached that color. But now the YIKES-HOLY-SHIT color is for zip codes with 2000 cases per 100,000.

Our zip code isn't there yet. We're down to the light blue level. For now.

Anyway, so....

From June 9-July 21, our zip code grew by 191 cases.

The lake house grew by 448 cases.

I have to wonder what's going on at the lake house area.

Our people having mass parties where they all lick each other?

Though per capita speaking, our zip code actually has a higher rate. But...not by much. At the lake house, it's 1008 per 100,000.  At our home, it's 1105 per 100,000.

The last thing I've been recording and keeping track of is deaths in terms of race, age, and gender.

I started on June 26.

Since then, in Tarrant county, we've lost....

32 white people.

33 Hispanics.

I know countrywide, it's black people who are having the worst time with Covid. But in our area, it's Hispanic people who are being shit on the most.

We've lost 16 black people.

Though percentage-wise, I think there's some bad stuff.  They make up 23% of deaths.

What are they in terms of population here?

Well....

They make up 14% of the population.

If life was more fair, they'd be making up 14% of the deaths.

Hispanic people make up 27% of the population. They make up 30% of the deaths.

So...some unfairness there as well.

And what about the white people?

They make up 66% of the population but only 43% of the deaths.

If you want to believe that's because white people eat more fruits and veggies and do yoga more often, then....

Well, you're probably a bit racist.

It's more likely due to the fact that Hispanic and Black people are more likely to work in jobs that can't be done online. They're more likely to have to have to use public transportation. And they're more likely to live in areas that suffer from pollution.

Before I forget them....there's the Asians.

We've had 1 death since June 26. They make up 5% of the population and 2% of the deaths.

I just realized I'm being confusing.

I should probably also list the actual total deaths.  So at this point, in Tarrant County, it's White (124) Hispanic (86) Black (69), and Asian (7).

The numbers I listed before were the totals from today minus the day I started counting.

Okay, onto gender.....

Since I've started counting, we've lost 45 men and 36 women.

In total, we've lost 171 men and 133 women.

As for ages, Tarrant County does a lousy job of dividing the ages. The categories are so wide. 15-24, 25-44, 45-64, 65+.

I think health-wise, there's a big difference between a typical 45 year-old and a 64 year old. I think there's also a big different between a 65 year-old and a 99-year old.

My mom, though, doesn't seem to understand this.

She, my sisters, and I were having a girl talk about our health ailments.

I've had a DVT. I have myoclonus, a tremor, and according to my MRI, my brain is starting to have premature atrophy.  Instead of showing parental worry or sympathy, she told my sisters and me to  wait until we're 70.

Really????

I don't understand why we should compare the health of someone in their 40's to someone in their 70's. There SHOULD be a difference.  Well, I don't know if it's a should in terms of science and reality. But in terms of fairness, I think it would make sense if the younger you are, the less health ailments you have.

Anyway....back to the ages.

Since I've started counting, there's been 5 deaths of people between the ages of 25-44...16 total.

There's been 21 deaths of people between the ages of 45-64....82 total.

There's been 55 deaths of people over 65+....201 total.

There's also been one death of someone under the age of 24, but I'm not sure if that happened before or after I started counting.

So, that's it for Tarrant County.

I do still look at some world stuff.

Trump has said we're doing the best in terms of deaths per capita.

That's very much not true.

But if we want to put a nationalistic spin on things, we are NOT doing the worse.  We are the 10th worst.

Countries worse than us include: Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, and Sweden, France, and Chile.

If you're a Trump supporter, you can feel smug for a few minutes.

Okay. Ready to move on?

Countries that are doing better than us in terms of deaths per capita include: Peru, Brazil, the Netherlands, Mexico, Canada, Germany Romania, Denmark, Iraq, South Africa, Russia.....

Countries that are doing MUCH better than us include: Austria, Turkey, Hungary, Finland, Argentina, Norway, Israel, Egypt, Iceland, Greece, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.

Although, nothing here is static.

A country doing well today can be doing the worst next month.

So...don't do embarrass yourself and jinx your people by doing a DeSantis.

One last thing.

A question.

How many of American deaths can be blamed on Trump?

I've seen some irrational people on the left try to blame Trump for all the Covid 19 deaths. This makes absolutely no sense. And hyperbole really helps no one.

There is no magical, good president who could have prevented every single Covid death.  If that was the case, New Zealand would have 0 deaths rather than 22!

So I came up with my own way of calculating how many deaths to blame on Trump.

According to the World Meters website, the average per million death rate worldwide is 79.

The United States has 331 million people. So if we were average instead of way below average, we'd have 26,149 deaths.

What we ACTUALLY have is 144,657 deaths...according to World Meters.

So...I'll blame Trump for 118, 508 deaths.

BUT....that's only if I'm being charitable towards the most powerful evil person on the planet.

If I'm being less charitable....

Well, the United States is supposed to be the best country in the world. Right?

So we should be doing at least as well as New Zealand. Right?

Their rate of death is 4 deaths per million.

If United States was doing as good as them, we'd have only 1324 deaths.

And if New Zealand was doing as bad as us?  They'd have 4807 deaths instead of only 22.








How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts 



No comments:

Post a Comment