Comparing Texas to Countries in Terms of Covid 19

I'm looking at the fun World Meters site. 

I decided I'm going to compare Texas to countries around the world...mostly in terms of Covid 19 but also a little bit of other stuff. 

I'll start with population.

Texas has a population of 29 million.

The countries that also have 29 million people are Nepal and Yemen. 

The population of Fort Worth, the city we live in is 895, 000.

The countries that come closest to that are Fiji at 897,000 and Reunion at 896,000.

Where is Reunion???

Ah...It's a French Island in the Indian ocean. 

The population density of Texas is 109.9 residents per square mile. 

The closest countries...or territories. I think Reunion is a territory.

I get confused about these things.

But anyway, this isn't about Reunion.  I'm past that.

The PLACES with population density similar to Texas is Columbia at 105 people per square mile. And Lithuania at 111 per square mile.

And I'm pretty sure both those places are countries. 

I'm ashamed, though, to say I've forgotten where Lithuania is. I'm leaning towards Africa or Europe.

I feel so stupid.

Okay...Lord Wiki says it's in Europe.

It's one of those Baltic countries I rarely pay attention to.  

Now I'm going to get to the Coronavirus stuff.

Texas has about 533,000 cases. 

That number is close to equaling the population of the Maldives (542,000). 

The two countries that have close to 533,000 cases are Peru (499,000) and and South Africa (569,000).

I've been reading fantastic blog posts about Peru—tourism related not Covid 19.  

Yesterday Texas had 6300 new cases.

The countries that come closest to that are Russia (5100) and Mexico (6700).

Texas has had a total of 9200 deaths.

The country that comes closest to that is Germany. They too have had 9200 deaths.

Texas had 225 new deaths yesterday.

The country that comes closet to that is South Africa and Peru again—259 and 212. So we are alike in number of cases and alike in number of deaths yesterday. 

Texas has 18,000 cases per million. The country closest to that is Panama. They have 17,900 cases per million.

Although I rounded up a lot with Texas.

Texas actually has 18,300 cases million.

As for deaths per million, Texas is at 318 per million.

The country closest to that is Bolivia at 322 per million.  

Now I'm looking at Tarrant County...where we live.

We have close to 35,000 cases. 

The countries that come closest to that are Morocco (37,000) and Azerbaijan (34,000).

We've had 434 deaths. 

The countries that come closest to that are Bosnia (458) and Cameroon (401).

Oh!

I forgot to look at tests for Texas.

Texas has had 4.5 million tests.

Canada has also done 4.5 million tests.

They have more people than us—37 million compared to our 29 million. 

So we're actually doing better test-wise than them.

But still.

I prefer Canada to Texas.

Probably.

I've never been there before.

But most of my TV shows are filmed there.

AND they are helping all those poor women escape from Gilead.

AND.....

They have better healthcare.

AND....

Trump is not their president. 

Also, Canada has less Covid cases than us (121,000 compared to our 533,000).  

We both have about the same amount of deaths. Texas-9200 and Canada-9000.

Though yesterday, Canada had only 15 deaths.

Texas had 225.

So all in all, I'd say Canada is doing better.










2 comments:

  1. Thanx for the shout out! Trying to check these kinds of numbers always give me a headache. We had the highest numbers for both cases and deaths at the beginning. But it was the beginning when it was much less understood, and treatments were unavailable or unknown. Did that skew our numbers? Who knows, as no central location is taking a logical, systematic approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys had a better excuse, because you had only Italy and China...maybe Spain too? as a warning. It also can be related to age and health of population...apartment living vs. single family homes. And yeah. Treatments are probably getting better.

    ReplyDelete