Submarine Attack Synchronocity

Lately, I've been watching season 2 of The Last Ship.  

Yesterday I started watching the episode "Achilles". It's about a nuclear submarine attacking the Navy ship.

Then later Tim and I watched our nightly episodes of The Twilight Zone. The second episode we watched was "Judgement Night".   The plot involves a submarine attacking a ship.

I think that's quite a coincidence. It would be less so if I often watched ship and/or war related things. But I don't.

So is it random? Or is the universe trying to send me a message?

I'm thinking that submarines probably could symbolize the subconscious. So maybe I'm being warned that my subconscious is going to attack my conscious. That might be exciting. And terrifying. Maybe it will be exciting in a terrifying way. 

OR maybe it's the universe telling me I like submarine stories, and I should seek out more of those. Because "Judgement Night" was probably my favorite of the episodes we've watched recently. And I think "Achilles" is my favorite episode of The Last Ship so far.  On top of that, when Jack was a little lad, I would let him choose my library books for me. He chose these navy books which seemed like something I would never like. It's certainly not something I would have chosen for myself. But I remember liking them a lot. I wish I remembered what they were and who wrote them.  

Getting back to Twilight Zone episodes....

I also liked the other episode we watched last night, up to the ending—"Perchance to Dream".  It reminded me of Nightmare on Elm Street. Well...until the ending.

I finally saw the famous episode "Time Enough at Last".  I've heard about that episode so many times but have never seen it.

I didn't like it.  It was too upsetting. 

And mean.

I think I'd be okay with the ending if he was just a busy guy who didn't have time to read vs someone who was bullied about reading.  

And maybe I would have appreciated it more if I hadn't known the ending. Maybe then it would have been a matter of only a brief moment of shock. Oh shit! Oh no!  Instead I was filled with dread throughout the episode.  And it was so hard for me handle, I was frantically writing fan fiction in my head. Okay, the glasses will break, but see...eventually he'll find a dead body that has glasses. And yeah. Maybe he needs a special prescription. But maybe he'll find glasses that are good enough.

Oh! Maybe he'll take a walk and eventually find an eyeglass shop that wasn't destroyed. That could happen. Right?  

5 comments:

  1. I consider original Twilight Zone the greatest writing in the history of TV...and that's my least favorite episode. Usually its the bad people getting punished, even the foolish ones usually only learn a lesson. This one was just cruel. Therefore I came up with an entire insane theory to give Mr. Bemis a happy ending. I must say, your idea is a far more direct and happy route. http://dogfoodforchairs.blogspot.com/2018/10/mr-bemiss-happy-ending.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer your idea. It makes more sense. Also, I think it's happier, because it could mean the people treating him like crap don't actually exist. Or at least they're not part of his present life.

      Tim and I were both bewildered by the lack of radiation.

      OR...I guess it could be that since Mr. Bemis is so often prevented from reading, he was never able to educate himself on the full dangers of atomic bombs.

      Funny that your post mentions Doctor Who, because minutes before reading your comment...Tim and I were talking about watching it. Trying to figure out if we'd start soon or after we finish the first season of Twilight Zone. AND...where to begin. Tim stopped with the 11 Doctor. I saw the first season of 12. Tim is most interested in the new woman doctor. I am too but feel I need to not skip any seasons. Although it's been awhile since I've watched any of it. So I'll probably be confused anyway.


      Delete
  2. Thank you. The age old "Where to start with the Doctor?" I've been a fan for a long time. My first shirt with "all the Doctors" on it only had 5 of them. New Jersey public TV was a HUGE supporter of the show, we got all of the original 7 before it went off the air. My family has been watching #5 recently. Eccleston (9) was a fantastic step by step introduction to the show for new people, but it took off after that. Davies years had great emotion as show runner, then Moffat took over and had just as much, and pumped up the craziness and old continuity. I felt 12 was most like the old Doctors. I really like Jodie as 13, but the writing has been ... odd. I am constantly surprised by the decisions they make to have the first female Doctor be much more passive than the past male roles. It seems like the opposite of what you should to do get such a big change be accepted. Sorry, I"m rambling, I really like this show and would watch any of them. Its shedding ratings like crazy now and it makes me sad that its all coming down to not giving her the same powerful character as the others had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's disappointing...about her character being passive. It would probably help if they had more female writers? Or do they? I don't know who is the show runner now. I'll have to look that up. We've watched only the new ones. I'm not sure if I'd like the old. I should probably try to watch them...someday. I have a feeling I'd prefer the newer ones, though.

      Delete
  3. The old ones are an acquired taste. I think you have to have grown up with them. They’re also not built for binging at all. Storylines average 4 25 minute episodes with cliffhangers and recaps each time. They worked better with gaps. Still some fantastic storytelling and characters. There’s loads of female writes and directors. It’s really weird. Chibnall ran Broadchurch and Torchwood. So again, weird.

    ReplyDelete