Shot in the Tuchus

Yesterday I had another case of The Last Ship and The Twilight Zone synchronocity

In one of the last three episodes of season 2 of The Last Ship, Tex (John Pyper-Ferguson) gets shot in the butt.

Later at night, Tim and I watched The Twilight Zone. We watched the time traveling episode "The Last Flight".  In this, Lt. Decker (Kenneth Haigh) talks about how his flying corp partner Mackaye (Robert Warwick) has the nickname Leadbottom, because he was once shot in the butt. 

It's not like it's common for me to encounter stories with people being shot in the ass. To see it in one day seems like quite a coincidence.

Is the universe trying to send me a message?

Probably.

Will I ever figure out what that message is?

Probably not.

So....

I think I may be over my strong aversion to even-the-idea-of hugging people.  In The Last Ship (spoilers in the next paragraph, so skip if you're planning to watch the show).....

They create a vaccine/cure for the virus that is spread contagiously rather than by injection. Well, some people get an injection; then they spread it to others by NOT practicing social distancing. The catch is, the people are only cure-contagious for a few days, and they can only be injected with the contagiousness once.  It's a one shot deal. So they need to get close and personal with as many people as they can. There's a scene of a crowd of people shaking hands, hugging, and sharing water with strangers. Instead of making me cringe or terrified, it made me very emotional. 

In other TV news.....

After finishing season 2 of The Last Ship, I used Random.org to pick my next show.  It's season 3 of the Canadian version of McLeod's DaughtersHeartland.  It's been a long time since I've watched that show. I hope I'm on the right season. I know I watched season 1 and 2. I'm pretty sure I haven't yet watched season 3.  If I have, hopefully I'll recognize that fact quickly, so I can get to the right season sooner rather than later.

First, though, I'm going to finish watching season 4 of All Saints. I've been watching that here and there for the last couple months.

Tim and I have put Doctor Who on hold. Before my excuse was that I was getting attached to The Twilight Zone.  But now I'm less attached, and I saw that season 5 of Fear the Walking Dead is available on Hulu. So we're going to watch that...after we finish season 1 of The Twilight Zone.

I don't think I'm in the right place to watch Doctor Who.

With Jack going off to college, I feel I'm need something that's going to NOT cause me even more emotional ups and downs.  When we watched it a few years ago, I felt like I was on such a roller coaster: I love this Doctor. I'm going to hate the next one. I don't even think I'm going to watch it anymore. Oh never mind. I love this doctor. I'm so glad they switched. But crap, he's going to leave too. And I KNOW I won't like the next one.....

And then there's the companions. I think it took me two or three seasons to get over Rose (Billie Piper) being gone. 


How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-beloved to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts 

7 comments:

  1. Doctor Whoe does require an investment in emotion. If I may put my Whovian hat on again. (Like I ever take it off.) I think the reason the new season became such a success is it integrated such huge emotional highs and lows and connections into the individual stories and characters themselves, instantly creating what long term watching of the classic series brought to fans. Always enjoy other peoples perspectives on shows we like. (We've been working through Twilight Zone between everything else.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Meant new series not new season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I think the emotional highs and lows, while painful, are also the main reason I liked Doctor Who. So where are you guys with the Twilight Zone? I'm surprised that there are so many episodes I've never seen. I'm guessing I felt like I had watched a lot of Twilight Zone in the past, but I probably just saw the same episodes repeatedly. OR I saw only a few episodes once but they left a big impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Doctor Who all right. I think my favorite quote from the show ever is in the Van Gogh one, "The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

      We're up to the third season of Twilight Zone. (Netflix skips the 4th, hour long season, sadly losing the Robert Duvall dollhouse one.) We've paused it for a quite while since for birthday and Father's Day presents I got Blu Rays of several Batman series (Adam West, 90's Animated, & Brave and Bold) plus several old and new Doctor Who seasons.

      Every New Year's Eve I watch chunks of the Twilight Zone marathon, back to before it was on SyFy when it was on a local station. And every year, I'd run into episodes I'd never seen before. Its amazing how many of them were made and how good they are. It may be that the really excellent ones leave such and impression they wash over the simply good ones.

      Delete
    2. That's a beautiful quote. And really liked that episode.

      We've been watching Twilight Zone on Hulu. I wonder if they skip the 4th season as well. I'll have to look up the dollhouse episode. If it's the one I'm thinking of...it's one of the few episodes I actually remember. Unless there's another dollhouse one.

      Now I'm trying to remember what we watched last night. One was the monster on Maple street...which I actually watched with Jack a few years ago. And then...I Can't remember what we saw next. And I can't remember if we liked it or not. I know I can just quickly look it up. But I'm enjoying that painful, fun feeling of struggling to remember something without assistance.

      Oh! And now I remember. It was the one where a man finds he is an actor and not the character he has been playing.

      Delete
    3. The Dollhouse one isn't the one I was thinking about...But either way, I hope Hulu has it.

      Delete
    4. I thought it was just me. The Twilight Zone is like that. I have a general sense of the emotions when we finish one, but its rough to remember which specific one I'm remembering recently, and which are old memories resurfacing since it retouches on themes often.

      Delete