Hopelessnes

Today I was thinking that there are two types of hopelessness.

In the first, we really want something. We long for it. We wish for it. No matter how unlikely it is, we're at least a tiny bit optimistic that it could happen.

But then something happens to turn our optimism into pessimism or realism.

In the second, we go into a state of blah. We realize we don't have anything we really want. We try to imagine our past wishes coming true. And when we imagine it...it's kind of like...well, who cares. That doesn't sound so great after all.

I've personally had both feelings before. I guess most people have. Probably.

What are the solutions?

I think with the first, we grieve over the loss and then wait for something new to excite us.

In the second, we wait to lose that feeling of blah. And in the meantime, we do that whole thing of taking one day at a time. I think it also helps to find small things to enjoy. Like a good book or TV show...trying to finish a video game. Stuff like that.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty deep. I guess- from a geeky perspective- its like there being multiple "levels" of infinity in mathematics. (there are more real numbers than integers, but both are infinite.)

    The fact that there are solutions for both gives me a bit more faith in the "good piles" side of reality.

    ReplyDelete