Melbourne Cup

Today is the Melbourne cup.

It's a sporting event....a horse race.

Let me go ahead and pretend I care.  How can I have this Australia blog if I don't appear to worship sports?

La la la. I love the Melbourne Cup. La la la. I love the Melbourne cup.

Am I fooling you yet?

Here in Texas we're having World Series stuff.  That's a baseball thing.  That's about all I know.   Well, I also know it's important to other Americans.  People keep talking about it on Facebook.  

The Melbourne Cup website has a page about the history of the event. The first race was in 1861.   Sixteen years later they made it into a public holiday.   

Lord Wiki has a list of the horses in the race.  I'm going to see if there are any names that I like.....

No, not really.

There's an American horse named Campanologist.  What does that mean? It must be a real word because Firefox didn't try to tell me I misspelled something. 

Well, Lord Wiki says campanology is the study of bells. Honestly, I didn't see that one coming.  Bells?  

The trainer of Campanologist is a Dubai guy named Saeed bin Suroor

That's about all I want to know for now.

If the Melbourne Cup is your thing, I hope you have a fabulous day. If you've bet on a race, I hope you win.