I'm Very Sorry, Lisa Merrick

In my last post, I talked about my book and how all I need to do, in terms of not giving up on it, is to sit around and wait for it to want people to read it.

But I forgot. There's something else I'm supposed to do...according to all the advice I've been reading geared towards self-published writers.

I'm supposed to write a sequel....or a whole series, actually.

That's why I was doing research on Lisa Merrick's life in Melbourne.

I felt obligated to write a sequel.

But I don't want to.

I really don't.

And I've heard writing a series doesn't increase your chances of a success by large degree. It increases your chances of success by a small degree.

Oh, crap. I don't know. Has anyone ever done an actual study on this to prove writing a series helps? Maybe series are more successful because they were based off books that people wanted to read in the first place. Or as I said in my last post, they were books that wanted to be read.

Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my book is lonely and if it had a family, it would feel secure enough to want people to read it. 

Is that how it works?

Either way. I have very little inspiration when it comes to writing a sequel...except for when it comes to researching the Australian parts. I have fun with that. But I could just quit that and research Australia for this blog.  

I personally like my book as a stand alone novel. Yes, it's a bit open-ended. I'm sure my small handful of readers imagined I did that, to make way for a sequel. But I kind of think I did it more for the fact that life is a bit open-ended. Or a lot open-ended, actually.  

Series are popular these days. And I used to really like them. Now I'm getting sick of the whole thing. I read a book, like it, get the sequel, and then struggle to remember all the characters and storylines I've forgotten. Sometimes...with things like Harry Potter, it's worth it. Of course, it's worth it. And I've liked other series as well. But twice recently I liked a book a lot; then read the sequel and disliked it. That kind of ruined my feelings towards the first book.  

I think if we feel very inspired to write a book, we should write it. And if we feel very inspired to continue the story, we should write a sequel. But I don't think we should pressure ourselves to write sequels because this is what's popular these days.

The more I think of it, the more I know I was only planning a sequel out of of obligation. In my failed writing career, I've written twelve novels. Not one of them has a sequel. So, it's really not my thing.

That's not to say it can't change one day. But for now, I'm quitting the sequel plans.

I do feel bad about creating Lisa Merrick and then abandoning her. But I did enjoy the few hours that I spent with her. And she might not ever get to be a character in a novel, but she did get several blog posts all about her. That's not too bad. If she ever wants more, I'm sure she'll tell me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment